(continued...)
After Amsterdam, Bethany and I took a series of long trains to get to Copenhagen. I've learned that Denmark is impossible to reach by rail. (Mark 10:27) But we made it and were greeted at the Copenhagen H station by Elizabeth, another friend from Capernwray. She showed us around the city. I thought it was great. From our hostel we had an excellent view of some of the downtown. We had a cool time. We took a cool canal tour. I was NOT impressed by the little mermaid statue, but it was interesting to see it and hear all the things that have happened to her, especially her head, over the years. It was a bright, sunny day, continuing the good weather I had for nearly every day of the whole month. **am I in California? I really enjoyed going to Christiania...the free city situated in a beautiful part of copenhagen. The best way I can think to describe it would be like a huge people's park, a little more classy, and filled with Danes. I have to say Danish hippies impress me more than their Berkeley counterparts. I had a good cup of coffee and a traditional danish ice cream bar (no weed, although I almost bought a cookie before I started thinking what might be in it), and we walked along the river and looked at all the cool houses, bikes, and artwork.
After a couple days in Copenhagen, Bethany and I went to a village in the hills outside of Aarhus, where we stayed with the family of Jan, a danish exchange student who lived with my dad's family in the 70s. This was one of the best, unexpected parts of my trip, because I learned so much from this danish family about my family, especially about my late grandparents. It really felt like I was with family. I hope to see them all again. I really liked the kids...one was a lot like my brother Daniel. We had amazing danish pastries...mouth-melting carbohydrate-crispy sugar spirals! BRILLIANT! We also went to the (ersatz) highest point in denmark..."sky-high mountain"...this little hill...(like the parking lot was only 100 yards from the summit. but it was beautiful.
After Aarhus, we joined Elizabeth again to go really far up north where I can't pronounce the names, so I don't know where it was (I also couldn't pronounce the Danish names when we were in the South). We had a blast...beaches and sand dunes...biking through the forest and more beaches...cool danish church on sunday and the best ice cream I've had in a long time. I'd really like to learn Danish and go back often...stopping in Germany, of course, on the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment