Sunday, August 28, 2011

The goat

This afternoon, I saw a man walking a goat through the park. Apparently, this is strange to the French too, as he was quick to assure me that his animal companion "wasn't a mean one." I smiled, not really knowing what to say, as the man told me a little more about the goat. Meanwhile, it was eating leaves that were growing by the fountain. A mom and small boy stopped to pet it. I decided I wouldn't get this chance again (presumably), so I asked if I could pet the goat too. She was very old and gray, with a horn that bent awkwardly into her head. When I walked on, I heard the woman say to her son, "Say, 'Thank you, m'sieur for letting me pet your goat.'"

Today we took a tours of Tours. I got a little turned around when on a walk last night, but now I think I'm familiar enough with my part of the town not to get lost. My favorite part of today was grabbing "une verre" with the other students in my program at a bar along the Loire. They played Latin and Jazz music. Of course I danced (with some others at the restaurant), and my partner Katrina and I were apparently so talented (and French-looking maybe?) that a woman approached us and asked if we had learned to dance here in Tours.

I'm looking forward to another good dinner tonight (quiche loraine last night), and I might see a movie with one of my housemates and her friends. I start French class tomorrow. In two or three weeks I'll start at the Université François-Rabelais.

A bientôt!

1 comment:

Lani said...

goats and dancing - now, if only they were dancing goats!!! Glad you are off to a fun start of the semester!