Friday, November 4, 2011

the North (vacances part 2)

Well, as I believe I noted, I did not board the train for Hogwarts on Friday, but I left London for Sheffield, where I was to meet my Bible school friend Dan. Within minutes on the train, I was surrounded by the English countryside I fell in love with three years ago. And it only got better from there. That afternoon Dan and I went for a walk in what he called the Peak Country. Fall was finally taking hold in the trees, and our path winded through the woods, up hills, across meadows, and along a little creek, leading to a nice little pub at the top. I had a mushroom, steak and ale pie, and he had the biggest plate of fish and chips I've ever seen. It might have been a little dangerous, but we fumbled our way through the dark forest that night, making it back for the train with enough time to take in the stars. Creatures live in British forests, you know. Werewolves, dragons, centaurs...one can never be too careful.

Together with Dan and another good friend Nathalie, I returned to Capernwray the next day, the "castle" in England that I studied at three years ago. At times it felt so normal to be back, to sink into the chairs under the stairs, to warm myself by the radiators in the lounge, to descend from the road to the dining hall. Other times it felt so strange...there's not much that has changed since I was there May of 2009...was I really at Capernwray again? Some things were very hard, like walking through the Beehive where I lived for many months...definitely some sad memories. However, for the most part, I was flooded with good, fond memories of God's work in my life, of friendships I had, of all the fun things we did (Christmas concert, work days on the farm, American football games, camping out on the big hill to watch the sunrise.)


I also spent a lot of time drinking tea that day, chatting with the staff. It was funny how they would recognize us as old students, then when we ran into them again (it's a small campus), they'd recall our names. So good to catch up and to hear how things were going at my school. I hope to return again sometime (i.e. Capernwray 10-year reunion...not my idea, but it's happening, y'all.)

In sum, it was necessary to return to Capernwray and recognize how important this piece of my life was...and it was equally meaningful to see Dan and Nathalie, and many of the Capernwray staff again. I'm very thankful for this opportunity.

And the next day I made my way to Amsterdam...next blog coming soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a centaur would be very offended by this John.