I had a weekend of good eating. It all started with Friday Social Night. Friday night’s at Capernwray are kinda lame. Sometimes they’re nice (like the talent shows which are truly of the finest quality); other times we all get together to watch low-budget Christian films or play ice-breaker games that may be out of place now that we’ve known each other for five months. It’s all compulsory, of course. This Friday, all the staff were offering different activities, like movies, pizza, games, etc. I made it to the sign-up list late, so all the good things were taken. After a long process of much-needed self-discovery (I’m not exaggerating) I opted for 5-a-side football in the gym—very manly, very fun. Unfortunately, only three signed up, so I would forced to go watch a movie in the conference hall (potentially another “Faith Like Potatoes” or what have you). However, I became aware of an opening for a Mexican Meal at the home of Mark Thomas, the director of Capernwray. I jumped at the chance, running to his office, and bursting through the door. “Come in, Jack” he said (he calls me Jack). “I heard there was an opening….” “Why yes, there is.” “Can I have it?” I said, unable to contain my enthusiasm. “Yes.” And I must have said my cheers as I spun awkwardly out of his office in sheer delight. The meal was incredible. Enchiladas and Tacos. Beef, crisp cheese. Pure succulence. It was one of those meals that has a lilt. To top it off was his album of pop-ized classical music (a thrilling and educated selection of the greatest hits of the Dead White Men all ran together in a frenzied celebration of color, harmony, and instrumental experiment). I was, to be honest, feeling a bit depressed the last week. Anxious about things you know. Through lots of prayer (including that of my dear cousin Laurel) I was able to enjoy and be revived by this amazing Mexican meal with good friends from Capernwray.
So then I left on Saturday for the preliminary weekend of a 10-day outreach on Feb. 27. (Don’t remember if I said this, but I’m leading a group of twelve to Morley outside of Leads in Yorkshire to help out a church and do school assemblies and work with “pensioners.”) I had a blast there, we all did. It was pretty easy-going. There were many hours spent in the living rooms of the northern English, just chatting and laughing with my team. We got fed well. Yorkshire puddings of course. Brilliant gravy. Pork, potatoes, parsnips. And custard, loads and loads of yellow custard. It is refreshing to know that English food can be done well. We did have a good planning session with Morley Community Church. They have a busy program set up for us, but I’m happy to get out and serve the community and spread the gospel. What’s quite funny is how high profile it is that a team from Capernwray Bible School is coming to Morley (a small post-textile-industry city of proud people who rarely receive visitors from even the English). The best example is the great lengths the ever-so posh Mayoress took to meet us, and, after a cozy picture with all twelve of us for the local weekly, welcome us formally to the town of Morley. I’m really excited to go back, and eager to begin planning with my team. We have church services, testimonies, sermons, programs for both youth and pensioners, and much more to develop and prepare. Please pray for us as we begin this week. And for the people of Morley, that their hearts would be prepared for our ministry.
So I’m back at Bible school now. It snowed (and it NEVER snows in England) which greatly cheered my spirits. I had a great morning of snowball fights, picture taking and building (little) snowmen, and wittily reading Psalm 147. The chili today was pretty flavorful, enough for an English guy to say it was “hot.” I suppose there is still hope for England.
I see my light come shining
From the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I must say, that was an excellent description of a Mexican meal, John! made me hungry! and I'm glad the snow helped to lift your spirits.
Post a Comment