I went to the quaint town of Carnforth for the last time today. I bought about a hundred bags of english earl grey, and a few varieties of digestives, then bought a book for my flight home at England's eminent used bookstore (I opted for Austen's "Persuasion" because I'm confident in my masculinity) and then I had the most delightful slice of apple strudel with vanilla ice cream, while chatting at a café with my favorite German friends (Capernwray students and staff), discussing (I did most of the listening) women's role in the church. Right now I'm watching the sun setting in the direction of the Lake District. It's far too cold to actually be outside. And it makes me think of that horrid scene in the play the Sound of Music (Act II scene 1, when the Captain breaks up with his fiancee so he can propose to Maria within thirty seconds) In an uncharacteristically poignant moment, the baroness returns her engagement ring to the Captain and says "there's one thing you do right here in Nonberg. It's your sunsets. I'm going to miss them."
I saw one of the most striking sunsets I've ever seen last night, for about an hour of driving from a small english village outside of Preston back to Capernwray. I had just preached my first sermon (on Mark 5:1-20, it went really well! Very welcoming congregation of 8, and they served THE BEST scones -pronounced SCWANS-) and there were some strong meyers-briggs S's in the car. I think it ideal to have S's around when there is something pretty to be seen. They help you enjoy it. "Look at the colours!" "How is that purple and grey at the same time?" It was brilliant.
I'm really gonna miss England, but I'm ready to be home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
John, I'm really going to miss reading about your England adventures! oh and nice Sound of Music reference. I still have the script from when I did it frosh year at SM and I went back and reread that scene. now I have that no way to stop it song stuck in my head!
I'm looking forward to having some Earl G and hearing more stories!
Post a Comment