Well, it’s been too long since I’ve updated. A lot of fun things have happened as spring school draws to a close.
My dad came out to visit for my birthday! Although I’ll be seeing him in one and half weeks, it was really great to see him and show him around the school and the surrounding area. The Bible school principle has told me twice the account of how my dad knocked twice then barged into his office to tell him he liked his teaching and agreed with everything he said. I’m really gonna miss the lecturing of this guy who will always say things like “this is controversial” or “let me illustrate with a controversial example” and then do a lecture series on 1 Timothy, spending seven lectures on the 2nd chapter. We went to the Lake District on Saturday the 23rd and did the same walk that I did over travel weekend, the weekend previous (from Ambleside past to Grassmere, where Wordsworth lived for most of his life). As I predicted, I was able to get my dad to go swimming with me in Rydal water. Just as we were getting in, these English swimmers in scuba suits were emerging from their swim across the lake. In rapid succession they cautioned us about a “dodgy goose” living on an island way out in the lake. We did not pay that visit to the incorrigible gander, but rather dunked and made a fast advance back to shore. I did, I think, complete my Michael Phelps ritual whereby I butterfly a few strokes and then scream and splash while the English look on. I also ate a beautiful flapjack that day and had a brilliant pot of earl grey. I even fell for the joke again when a cyclist was taking our picture…the one where we carefully position ourselves with our backs to mountains, lakes, and glowing trees and he asks, “Would you like jus’ you lot, or the scenery too?” I made my cheery and perfunctory reply: “The scenery too, please”
One thing that scared me a bit was how cold my dad was the whole time, especially when I would be about to comment about how warm it’s been getting. Like it can’t even be past 75˚F here, and sometimes I can’t bear going outside into the scorching heat. Last work day was pretty rough, that is until Patrick, my Bavarian fellow-wood-chopper fetched some water. Then it was fun listening to him talk about how badly he could go for a white beer right now. How incredible it is to consider that it could very likely be 40 degrees warmer in Stockton!
I’ve done some especially fun things with my friends. Now that it’s getting near the end of school, and the weather’s brilliant, we’re doing all that we can to enjoy the Loon Valley and surrounding area. One day we took bikes (I also took avocados) and went to a river. It was so nice to swim in, deep and strong and the hills were beautiful in the sun. I keep talking about the sun because I’m truly amazed by how nice it is. (Life isn’t gloomy always—no kidding). We also spent the night on a huge hill across the sheep pastures (the kind of hill that lecturers who have been to Israel say is about the size of the “sermon on the mount” mount, if not a little bigger). After having done that, I can say that I like the idea of it better than the experience. We all froze so badly. Maybe next time I’ll consider taking a sleeping bag, but all the warm mid-sixties weather had gotten my hopes up. I have a new appreciation for what sheep have to go through every night…and this wasn’t even winter.
In other news, I’m leading my last outreach this Sunday night. We’re going to lead a service for a local church who are really excited to have us. I’m excited about what we’re going to do. I’ll be preaching a little bit (my first time) and the age of the church members will afford us the opportunity of singing songs like “And Can It Be” without a formal apologia (i.e. “we sing hymns because…blah blah…good theology…better lyrics..etc. etc….more sincere emotions”). This outreach is cool because I was allowed to pick my team with friends and our planning is going well so far.
It’s a little sad to think about leaving in one and a half weeks. I’m ready to go, but excited to be here still. I sense that it will be a little rough emotionally to get back home and then head to Socal (?!) immediately thereafter to work at Catalina again, but I’m equally excited about my ministry this summer and my time on the island that has produced some of my happiest memories. I’ll just keep trusting in God’s strength (Psalm 73:25-26).
there’s cars, yes, but there’s calm. and leaves
above so full of ancient trees.
could leaves compose a weary psalm
they’d draw blank being at ease
No tongue can tell the breeze-shared sighs.
tin feather-whistles strike no score
the shading hues—no painter tries
to seep the sun and make it more.
She would collect them where he lies
a motif on the forest floor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment