We saw a castle this weekend, but that's all I'm gonna say about that. Call me whatever you want, but if you've seen one castle, there isn't much to be gained by seeing another one. (Now this is the same rhetoric Reagan used in a comment about California redwoods, so take my comments with a grain of salt). What made my Saturday enjoyable was the time we spent in the Villandry gardens. I didn't spend much time, however, in the elaborate flower gardens, but I went marching into the woods on a hill overlooking it all. I guess I was pretty wiped out and needed some time alone, but I think I was also missing home, as the trees reminded me both of Pennsylvania and California. I thought about simplicity when I was sitting on a wood bench in the tranquil forest, the thunder rolling across the canyon. Were the royal gardens and baroque palaces really necessary? What did the French who lived in poverty think of all this? What are the gardens of our current society? What are the gardens in my life? Nevertheless, it was refreshing to sit under the trees, and wander through the old paths.
I bought a galette at an outdoor market yesterday, and I met a friendly old man at the stand. When he asked where I was from, he told me he had an American cat, that it was from Florida, and that he kept it's passport. When I ordered, he joked that they were fresh out of galettes-complètes. Also, when our crêpes were being made, he told me that THAT one was his, and that he had seen my eyeing it. Only time will tell if I become the kind of old man who jokes like that.
We played theatre games this morning to help us learn French. Our teacher was a member of a local theatre troupe who does this sort of things in schools often. She said, "You need to engage your body in the words." My favorite was when we learned conversations from a Becket play and performed them for each other. We did this dialogue (my translation):
A: So you're going to leave me then?
B: I'm trying to.
A: You don't love me?
B: No.
A: You used to love me!
B: Used to.
We will continue to work with her throughout the semester, and one night we will go see her company's play. It was a good way to start the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
sounds uncannily like that russian phrase i once shared with you.
Very true.
"Je vous aimais"...n'est-ce pas?
Penetrating.
Post a Comment