I just had possibly my favorite meal so far in France, cabbage, four kinds of sausage, and pork (i think), of course with a course of cheese, and a gateau de riz rice pudding. My host mom is in Florida right now, and her good friend came to cook for me. Apparently its a specialty of the Alsace region, which is probably why it struck me as being Germain.
What made this meal so special was the conversation. We talked about the food, about the recent victory of the Left in the French Sénat, about the elections of next year in France and the U.S., and about the corrupt nature of many politicians. But slowly, and cautiously, she began to incorporate here and there her beliefs in "physique-chemie." I went with it, and we had an unexpected and sincere discussion of spirituality and change in the world. Although I may not adhere completely to her New Age beliefs (at first I thought she said, "New Edge" ... the most trouble I have understanding French is when they use English words), we were in agreement about many things, and she was very interested in my own spiritual beliefs and faith. I could tell being able to talk about these things was meaningful for her too. She described our conversation, and any such thinking about these things as an offering to God. I thought that was a nice way to put it.
It was equally refreshing for me to have such success speaking French. It's often hit and miss for me. Apparently tonight was an "on" night. It's like left pirouettes in dance. However, despite my ability to engage in more sophisticated conversation, I had trouble understanding her when she told me to put the plates in the cupboard. I still have a lot to learn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment