Tonight I went to a Bible study with Groupe Biblique Universitaires at the university here in Tours. People were more friendly than they were last week (i.e. they actually talked to me this time). I keep having to remind myself that French people aren't accustomed to thinking of engaging people they don't yet know in conversation. However, they are accustomed to greeting them with kisses on the cheeks (two times in Tours...it changes by region) even if they hardly know them.
Many have heard me say (pettily) that when it comes to getting to know churches or people, I give out extra points for their affinity for 2 Corinthians. God seems to honor this. The first time I went to a knew church in Lancaster this summer, the pastor preached from 2 Corinthians. I nearly fell in love with a girl freshman year because she indicated that she liked the epistle. I once had quite a spiritual experience in a forest in Massachusetts while reading 2 Corinthians. I could go on and on.
Well, tonight we studied 2 Corinthians 5:12-21. We met in a the back of an Irish bar, and with the music and the fish tank (?) and the football match on the TV, I struggled to understand everything that was said. I did speak a few times, at the encouragement of a girl named Marie who always seemed to notice when I had a thought.
Some anecdotes:
- They expressly asked me to explain where Corinth was...TWICE because people walked in late...was this just the easiest question or did I give off l'air d'une grande connaissance géographique? I told them it was in the middle of Greece, by the sea.
- Someone asked what a Pharisee was, and the guy next to me concluded: So, Pharisees are just like the French. There's a law for everything. "En effet," I said under my breath.
- French people like argumentation. In fact, the way you say, "Okay" in French is "I agree with you." Well, one of the times I spoke, two people commented on the clarity of my argument (I suggested that vs. 13 is linked to vs. 12, that Paul's sanity or lack of sanity are "appearances," and that the Corinthian church and his devotion to God are where his "heart" is. Verse 12 ends by distinguishing between those who concern themselves with appearances and those who care about the heart.) The guy next to me said, "That is very nice." The French may be Pharisaic with regard to their administrative prowess, but they are equally vigilant to test and approve what a good argument is.
- To conclude the Bible study, they talked about people they loved (family, friends, etc.) who they wanted to know how good God is. This conversation reminded me greatly of what Christian students say in the States. It was a good to be there tonight.
Well, I leave tomorrow at dark fifteen for Provence in the South of France. They whether has been so exceptionally warm that my host brother averred that it was like California. (He's never been to California). I'll be there till Sunday night. I'll update when I get back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i can't imagine a bible study in another language. that's awesome. especially the fish tank.
I forgot I mentioned the fish tank.
Yes, that certainly made it special.
Thanks for reading, and for commenting. (Tu es mon préféré...etc.)
Post a Comment